10.04.2005

quiet is overrated

Despite the fact that we live in Quiet Village, it is never quiet in our house. At any given time during the day you can hear:

Dogs barking, kids screaming, the Backyardigans singing, birds chirping, chipmunks squeaking, windchimes chiming, garage doors opening, scooters racing, music blaring, circular saws spinning, hammers pounding, dump trucks dumping, lawn mowers mowing, weed whackers whacking, leaf blowers blowing, planes flying, wind rustling, cats howling...

You get the point.

And that's just the stuff we hear outside. Inside is a whole different story. Inside we hear:

Lemony Child's voice as she's screaming for her lunch. At six in the morning.

Lemony Child's voice as she incessantly badgers everybody in the house for SOMETHING SHE WANTS. What she wants, we don't know. But it's something.

Lemony Child's voice as she goes on and on and on and on about nothing. Well, okay, it's not nothing to her but the rest of us ran out of patience with Pokemon about six days ago.

Mumma how do you rewind the TiVo?

Mumma you said I could have ice cream!

The ice cream was a bribe for quiet. It didn't work.

I swear there are days I would give my right arm and an eye tooth just to have five minutes of quiet. Hell, I'd give my firstborn and the two that came after her for five minutes of quiet. And the mutt.

If anybody needs me I'll be in the attic with a two pieces of blue foam shoved into my ears.

2 Comments:

Blogger Om.powered said...

I'd so say come here but I can't offer you quiet.

Only company.

xo

4.10.05  
Blogger Unknown said...

"....and a partridge in a pear treeeeee!"

My house isn't quiet either, but if you came out here we could go camping in the quiet, quiet desert.

4.10.05  

Post a Comment

<< Home