4.27.2006

am i missing something?

As is the case just about everywhere, gas prices here in Quiet Village have skyrocketed. It is mildly annoying to say the least, but I do chuckle when I hear the guy at the pump next to me muttering about how RIDICULOUS!! it is that he has to pay a hundred bucks to fill his Cadillac Escalade.

Dude. Did this really not occur to you when bought the thing? Surely the sticker with the numbers 13/17 on them in reference to miles per gallon was a clue? And the $100 fill up cost has you muttering to yourself in public like my Auntie Angie but the $50,000 price tag didn't give you pause?

Personally, if I have a spare fifty grand lying around I think I'll probably use it to, oh, I don't know, send my kid to college for two years or something equally as dumb, but that's just me.

Now. Where was I? Oh, yeah. Gas prices.

I filled the Lemony Happy Bus (aka The Minivan We Hate But Own Free and Clear With No Payments Left to Make So Trading it for a More Fuel Efficient Happy Bus Makes Zero Fiscal Sense vehicle) up this morning. This set me back about $70 and after shouting "There had better be liquid freaking gold brewing in this pump, damn you!" as the receipt printed, I drove away wondering exactly what the geniuses in Washington were planning on doing about it. You know they're planning something...it's an election year.

Well, now I know.

Are they kidding me?

Hundreds of millions of dollars in rebate checks, money that I'm sure isn't just sitting around collecting dust or interest since there's this whole war thing happening. Does it really make fiscal sense to give money to people who can afford a $50,000 car so they don't have to pay for a lone tank of gas? And if we have hundreds of millions of dollars just lying around waiting to be spent, do tell me why it isn't being spent on public schools? Health care? The I-495 overpass that is dropping chunks of concrete on the road below? You know, things that would really make a difference in the communities we live in?

Does it make sense to spend that kind of money on a (very) short-term, band-aid solution? What good does it do?? One free tank of gas...problem not solved, people. You still need to fix the problem of Dependence on Foreign Fuel.

Oh, wait, they did come up with a solution, didn't they? How silly of me.

Drilling in the Arctic.

Of course. Why didn't we think of it before?

ARGH.

So tell me if I've got this straight...some people are worried about losing an election so they propose a policy that wastes millions of dollars and ruins the environment.

They must be Republicans or something.

7 Comments:

Blogger Atticus said...

Applause! I think I love you ;-)

27.4.06  
Blogger Om.powered said...

Darlin, that stuff about public schools and public works would imply that they think of the public as actual people to further.

I mean, puh-lease.

xoxo

27.4.06  
Blogger josetteplank.com said...

Maybe we can use that money to buy little windmills for the tops of our cars.

28.4.06  
Blogger josetteplank.com said...

Here you go, this will make you feel better that the guys and gals on the hill are taking this all to heart and not just posing for re-election photos:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002955908_milbankgas27.html

28.4.06  
Blogger RenĂ©e said...

slamming my head against the wall right along side you pal. :(

xo

28.4.06  
Blogger Imzadi said...

Hey, I've got the exact same van.

28.4.06  
Blogger kaliroz said...

Oooh, windmills, that's a good idea, Jozet. Will they be multi-colored, like the ones I loved when I was little?

As much as I want a larger vehicle, because my whole family is tall, I'm pretty content with the little Saturn for the time being.

2.5.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home