7.25.2005

the ego has landed

So it's after 2:00 in the morning and I'm awake. Why?

Many reasons, all of them ridiculous, but mostly I'm awake because somebody asked me to "maybe rewrite this more professionally" and being the glutton for punishment that I am, I said, "Sure! Give it here!"

So I rewrote it, very carefully, so as not to lose the original flavor and inadvertently make it mine . Sent it off electronically. Done.

Yeah, you'd think, wouldn't you?

Almost instantly the electronic return mail arrived.

The tone I wanted is gone, the Arial font letters, size 10, tell me.

Well, the tone you had was... how do I say this politely... condescending. You want people to read this and think, Damn! I want to give this guy my money! right? Maybe you should, you know, be nice.

Rewrite number two.

And three.

And ten.

Until I finally sent back the original with a facetious How's this? written across the top (in Times New Roman size 12, damn it) and got back "Perfect! Thank you!"

Sarcasm lost, apparently...

And so it appears that somebody doesn't really want help as much as he wants a pat on the back and a "Bravo! That was some GREAT reading!"

So it's 2:35, and I'm awake, because the ego of a friend can't take his writing being reworked even though that's what HE ASKED ME TO DO and now I'm stressed out and wired.

:poof:

Sleep. Gone.

So, darling, sweetheart, babycakes E, when you see me, you best have a double venti double latte or I will have to throttle you.

Capiche?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home